Links

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger

February 01, 2006

Lacking clockwork

Lately I have had so much time that a new found glory for friendster has errupted in me. I don't bother setting the alarm and wasting charge on my cell phone and so I wake up when it is too bright to sleep anymore. Fortunately I am too lazy to shut the blinds. Closing the blinds in my room is an ordeal of its own. These blinds hang vertically and are individually hooked to the top joined by a common spool. Invariably, one of them would be displaced by 180 deg. So I would have to first seperate the blinds individually to get to the displaced one. Even before that, since I am an average Indian, I would have to first bring a chair to reach the top of the blind. There is also a chance of falling over and tripping because my chair has wheels on them. Unfortunately I would not be able to sue the manufacturer because there is a warning pasted beneath the seat saying " DO NOT USE THIS CHAIR AS A STEP-LADDER. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY". I didn't quite understand why the warning was pasted beneath the seat instead of someplace visible to the person stepping on it. After much contemplation I decided to just have sun as a wake-up indicator. I felt myself going back in time to the sumerian culture and the egyptian shadow clocks, only without the sundial. But in a place like Ann Arbor, sundials would be ineffective for six months in a year. I would still prefer those to the middle-age clocks that weighed 200-400 pounds on an average. Back home in Muscat, we owned a 19th century german cuckoo clock. Eventhough it sounds cool, it is one of the most embarrassing showpieces to own in the house. The day we bought the clock and assembled it, my parents and I waited for almost 10 minutes for the cuckoo to pop out and do its thing. It was like waiting for a celebrity but only not. There is also the "biological clock" that most people love to talk about. Even though I have never believed in a "biological clock", it has worked for me during crucial moments. At the moment I am enjoying the fact that I can spend an entire day without being aware of the time. It feels great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>